Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Sharing News Articles

I've been watching the set of posts and articles that Paul has been putting up an RSS feed as shared for a while now.

I really like the fact that he did this, and I asked him how he managed to get stuff that came as part of RSS feeds as well as stuff he just found online and shared the articles. He was nice enough to tell me.

So I now have a page and RSS feed of articles that I think are interesting.

Since he hasn't gotten around to writing it up, I figured I would. Its a really cool combination of using del.icio.us and google reader, both of which are really smart applications that don't think of themselves as data syncs - in other words, they let you expose data that comes into them.

Google reader allows you to mark any article that you read through RSS as "shared". It then creates an RSS feed for those articles that is published to anyone who's interested. Google reader also lets you tag feeds, and for any particular tag, you can create a public feed for that tag as well.

del.ico.us likewise allows you to create bookmarks with tags. For any tag in del.ico.us you can get an RSS feed (starting to see a trend yet?).

So what Paul told me to do is to create a new tag in google reader called "share", then import both my del.ico.us "share" tag feed, as well as my google reader shared items feed into that single tag. Then publish the "share" tag as a public feed.

What you get is the ability to share any article from google reader, or any page that you may see on the net you can share too.

So

1 comment:

CrunchyJew said...

You do realize this is what tumblr was created for check mine out at crunchyjew.tumblr.com

-Ben